Saturday, July 6, 2013

We are better together.

Today I am at home with my head leaning toward my right shoulder as I am placing antibiotic drops into my bacteria ridden left ear. It is funny how a small ear infection can nearly debilitate me, such a minor affliction. Really, the infection is good for me; not as much for my physical self as for my spiritual one. I have sat here with my muffled, old man hearing & have less been distracted by the noise of the day than I have been in awhile. Maybe this is a reason old age will be a blessing, if we hear less of the world we will hear more from our Father. Anyways, in such a moment this morning I felt the pride of my health slip only to be replaced by the comfort & glory of my Father in Heaven.

In a sermon I just finished watching I was reminded of an adventure told in the Book of Acts of Paul & Silas.  Here the Apostle Paul, in the name of Jesus, calls a demon out of a young women & is punished because of it. The Jews made a united attack on Paul as the slave girl who was healed had proved very profitable for her owners since through the evil spirit inside her she had predicted future. As for Paul & Silas, for many days she shouted at them as servants of the Most High. Paul became increasingly troubled by her shouting & freed her from this demon. As his worldly reward, he & Silas were sent to prison. Even more, before they were sent to prison they were stripped off all their clothes, beaten, flogged & then closely guarded in their cell. Today, I have an ear infection. The comparison between my current affliction & that of Paul & Silas's doesn't hold much ground. Actually, I was captivated & inspired by the enormity of faith these two men carried with them while being punished so severely for sharing the love of Christ.

Perhaps my favorite part of this story starts in verse 25, immediately following the description of the two men being placed in their cell & their feet fastened to stocks. The verse says,

"About midnight Paul & Silas were praying & singing hymns to God, & the other prisoners were listening to them."

Soon after this Paul, Silas & the remainder of the prisoners were released after an earthquake shook the foundation of the prison & threw open the prison doors. The guard nearly took his own life after thinking all the prisoners had escaped but, as the story goes, would end up asking for & receiving the saving grace of Jesus. This came out of two followers of Jesus being imprisoned & glorifying Him in song & prayer. Many lives were saved & that is beautiful. The beauty of a soul redeemed far outweighs the weight of imprisonment for these men. When I am afflicted do I sing songs of praise or offer prayers of hope? Because people are listening.

I am seeing more trial day to day than I have previously in my life. Drawing nearer to Jesus has opened my eyes to the world that has fallen so far from Him but it is a world that He so dearly loves. The illusion that their is any joy that exists in absence of Him is being swept away by the rushing waters of Jesus's grace. In John 3:16 Jesus shares one of the most recited verses in today's world. The verse starts with, "For God so loved the world..."

God made this world so He would be realized & Jesus is seen in every facet of creation. He loves the world. For my birthday last week my older brother gifted me an anthology of great Christian poetry. I was reading through several poems & fell in love with, I See His Blood upon the Rose, by Joesph Mary Plunkett, an early 19th century author. The poem describes Christ & his undeniable existence in the world. It makes me realize that he really wants to be with me & He gives me every opportunity to praise & recognize Him.

"I see His blood upon the rose
And the stars the glory of his eyes,
His Body gleams amid eternal snows,
His tears fall from the skies.

I see His face in every flower;
The thunder & the singing of the birds
Are but His voice-and carven by his power
Rocks are His written words.

All pathways by His feet are worn,
His strong heart stirs the ever-beating sea,
His crown of thorns is twined with every thorn,
His Cross is every tree."

The truth is, God sent His one & only son because He wants to be with us. Jesus wants to bring us back into His love & wants his love to reside fully in us. When we are afflicted, be it an ear infection or being naked & imprisoned, He wants us to know He is with us & be so overwhelmed with love we cannot help but sing songs of praise. Jesus & I, we are better together. You & Jesus, you are better together. & because of our Friend & Savior who laid His life down for us, you & I are better together. So, in the face of trial & affliction let us pray & sing songs of praise for others are listening & will share in the grace of Jesus, our Savior, who is here with us in every step & breath from here unto eternity.


No comments:

Post a Comment